At the end of every year most think it is necessary to recreate themselves like when the clock strikes 12:00 am on January 1st all is wiped away and all is renewed. I am not sure who started that thought process but I am thankful that my parents were positive realists; who taught me that tomorrow is not promised so what you need to do needs to be done now and what you want to do should be done now also (too bad I didn’t listen to this sooner. Hey I am just being honest. Hindsight is 20/20).
So I’m not making new year’s resolutions but I will verbalize my goals.
2016 was a crappy year for so many reasons but for what it wasn’t there are so many lesson to learn from it. Here are a few:
(1) Real friendship is not viewed on a spectrum. Either you are or you ain’t (yeah I said ain’t like it is a real word) my friend.
(2) Political ideology at some point cannot be separated from your personal views. Thus giving people insight into who you are.
(3) Forty is not the new anything, it is the same ole 40… but it does look good and feel good on me!
(4) I don’t have things because I didn’t go get them. PERIOD!
(5) Stop giving your all to people who are not willing to give you 10 mins of their time.
(6) Freedom and Fairness are just as illusive in 2016 as they were in 1916.
(7) Without focused, impactful, and meaningful leadership Black people , as a race, will struggle to accomplish what we are capable of.
(8) Real connection has been forever fragmented by the invention and cultural immersion of technology.
(9) It is okay, not to be okay. (Thanks Jessie J)
(10) I AM AWESOME because GOD made me that way! Yes it took my 40 years to completed hold on to that notion. Not because I wasn’t told it but because I listened to those who told me I wasn’t instead of listening to those who screamed that I was. So why mess with awesome… So there will be “No New Me”. I will go after what I want with vigor this year. 2016 was a year of considerable loss and it was an eye opener. I will not take a day for granted and I will continue to make the most of the days I am blessed with. I am going to say that I am going to make today great and if blessed with another day, I will make that one great also and at the end of the year I will be able to say that 2017 was an amazing year, God Willing and the Creek don’t rise!
© 2017. All rights reserved.